COMGA

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Xeriscaping

Xeriscaping (sounds like Zera-scape-ing) - beside being a really cool word, I think it's a great idea. It originated with the Denver Water Department in the 1980s when they were first becoming aware of the increasing need for water conservation. (Xeric means dry.)

Our lack of winter precipitation this year is making me think twice about my choice of summer plants - how can I justify using our precious water (we are in the high desert, after all) just to make the area around my house look pretty? But I don't want my home to look like a weedy, neglected parking lot, either.

What to do?

First, I will NOT pave over the garden beds as my husband jokingly suggests.  It's not good for the environment, since it doesn't allow the water to percolate back into the soil and because concrete surfaces (especially in cities) raise the temperature of the air around them. (Sorry, honey).

The next thought might be to plant cactus and succulents. But they're not native to our high desert and probably wouldn't thrive here. But there are waterwise native plants - look to the east of our Central Oregon cities and the hills are covered with plants all the way to Idaho. Look more closely and you'll see that many of them bloom after a good rain.

Sounds like a great answer, but how do I know what the plants are that will grow well in my yard?

I found a couple fantastic publications on the OSU Extension website:  (www.extension.oregonstate.edu/deschutes/garden-publications). "An Introduction to Xeriscaping in the High Desert" and EC 1623-E:  Selecting Native plants for home landscape in Central Oregon.

The photos show some wonderful flowering plants - Purple Iceplant, white Candytuft, pink Evening Primrose, yellow Basket of Gold, and the amazing Blanket Flower in orange, yellow and red.  I've got my summer shopping list ready, now I just need some money!

2 comments:

  1. "The next thought might be to plant cactus and succulents. But they're not native to our high desert and probably wouldn't thrive here"
    I think you are mistaken.
    Many hardy cactus grow very well in central Oregon. There is quite a nice little ball type cactus that is even native to the hills N E of Madras, near Ashwood, Pediocactus nigrispinus. Delosperma is not a native genus, although many species, in particular cooperii, do well here.
    Achillea, Penstemon, Rudbeckia, Perovskia and more do well with minimal irrigation once established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info about the cactus north of Madras. It's probably successful there because it's growing in the warmest location of "Central" Oregon (the farther north you go, the warmer it is). The OSU publication I referred to lists some great native plants, including some of the ones you list.
      I should have explained that the people we talk with in the Extension Service's Plant Clinic are interested in using native plants in their xeriscaped yard but think that means only big sage brush and juniper trees. I wanted to provide some ideas of blooming natiives and where they can find good information.
      Thanks for reading the blog!

      Delete