COMGA

Friday, April 3, 2015

Growing an Apple Tree in Central Oregon

How geeky is this: I'm really excited about a new program that OSU Extension Service in Redmond will have this Spring. It's called "Project Happy Apple" - once I sign up on their website (extension.oregonstate.edu/deschutes/project-happy-apples-0), they'll be sending me emails about maintaining my 2 apple trees.

 I've been trying to grow apples on my 1/2 acre lot with meager success. I did my research and found out that apple trees need another apple tree to ensure pollination.  Not just any apple tree, but one that has a bloom time that coincides with the one I already planted. If you're not careful, you might have luscious trees with beautiful blooms but no apples!

Who knew that Johnny Appleseed (a real person, I understand) was doing it wrong?

Well, first of all, when he planted apple seeds, he didn't know what he'd get - the seeds don't grow "true" from the tree where the apple grew. Apple trees are grown from branches of a desired variety grafted onto a rootstock that is prized for it's sturdiness (and other good qualities). Johnny Appleseed trees were mongrels that were popular for growing cider in early America. But I want some good eating & baking apples, not just cider!

So last summer, on the advice of an OSU Extension Service publication (EC 1622-E:  Selecting fruit tree varieties for Central Oregon), I planted a Honeycrisp and a Macintosh.  I have a crabapple about 100' away which will pollinate any other apple tree, but I understand it may be too far away to be very successful.  Plus, I like Honeycrisp and Macintosh, so it's the veritable win-win!

Here's the problem with apple trees in Central Oregon - they get codling moth.  I was told by our Horticulture Agent at the Extension office, that almost every tree has this insect infecting their fruit. All the trouble, care, and expense and your apples are inedible come September. Yuck.

So, I'm really looking forward to the help I'll be getting from the Project Happy Apples in controlling the pending infestation this summer. Imagine - if we all take good care of our trees we could get the moth subdued in Central Oregon!  More juicy apples!  And pie!  And cobbler!  And caramel apples! And ....and... and....

1 comment: